Plato once said that “Necessity is the mother of invention”. Well, that definitely held true for me when I went on the hunt for healthy granola in Dubai, I came back empty-handed. All I found were sugar-infused cereals and granola. What is a nutritionist to do? I had no choice but to concoct my own homemade granola recipe!
I call this recipe the “Supergood Superfood Homemade Granola” because it packs in a lot of nutrient-dense superfoods and it tastes super yummy. It makes a delicious snack and a nutritious breakfast to start your day just right! You can follow the recipe as is, or add/omit any ingredients based on what you have in your pantry. There are no right or wrong set of ingredients for making your own granola. The key is to add ingredients that you love! So get in the kitchen and get cookin!
- 6 cups of oats
- 1 cup of crushed almonds
- 1 cup of crushed walnuts
- 1-2 cups of hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons of quinoa
- 4 tablespoons of runny honey or maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- 3/4 cup of goji berries
- 1/2 cup of dried blueberries
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon of mesquite powder
- 3 teaspoons of ground vanilla beans (or you can put in vanilla extract)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200F
- Mix all the baking ingredients together
- Add the coconut oil (melt it first)
- Add the honey/maple syrup
- Mix well
- Lay out on baking pans and put I the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
- Take the mixture out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes
- Add the non-baking ingredients and mix well
- Enjoy as a snack or with yogurt for a healthy breakfast!
What is your favorite combination of granola ingredients?