If you love mashed potatoes but hate the starchy carbs, try this scrumptious low-carb alternative made from cauliflower with a dash of coconut oil, giving this recipe a rich flavour.
I happen to come across a gorgeous purple cauliflower at the grocery store the other day, fell in love and brought it home! Instead of roasting the cauliflower or throwing it into a stir-fry, I decided to make mashed cauliflower. I had heard about mashed cauliflower as a great substitute for mashed potatoes and was curious to try it out. The results were better than I expected. Although I made the cauliflower as a side dish, I gobbled up most of it in one sitting for dinner.
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- (optional) 1/2 cup of cheddar or parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
1. Bring cauliflower and broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat
2. Reduce heat to medium and cover for 10 minutes
3. Remove cover and simmer on low-medium hear until half the liquid is left. Cauliflower should be soft by now, easily mashable
4. Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher or blend in a food processor until cauliflower is smooth
5. Add coconut oil and cheese (optional)
6. Season with salt and pepper (can also add a dash of cayenne if you like the spice!). Serve and enjoy!
Do you have any low-carb recipes you love? Share them! This one is definitely going into my regular recipe rotation!